August 2019 Iowa Anti-Trafficking News
Iowa State Fair – Trafficking Education Exhibit
The DOT’s Freedom Drivers Project (FDP) is a first-of-its-kind mobile exhibit that is a premiere tool in educating the general public about the realities of domestic sex trafficking and how the trucking industry is combating it. It will be on display at the Iowa State Fair on the Grand Concourse for Heroes Day – it will be there all day, August 8th.
The exhibit has a climate-controlled interior, which includes a theatre station. Actual artifacts from trafficking cases connect people to the back stories of so many who end up enslaved in Iowa and the United States. You will also see portraits of real Truckers Against Trafficking and how each is working to end human trafficking. This trailer will provide many Iowans with their first glimpse into human trafficking, as well as simple action steps anyone can take immediately after walking out of it.
Officers from Iowa Motor Vehicle Enforcement Human Trafficking team and representatives from Truckers Against Trafficking will be hosting the Iowa State Fair exhibit. The trailer is handicap accessible.
This exhibit is available to be scheduled for major anti-trafficking events here in Iowa.
Mark your calendar for Friday October 11th Human Trafficking Conference
The Eyes Wide Open annual conference will be held on Friday, October 11th, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Heartland Church in Ankeny, Iowa. The conference is hosted by Garden Gate Ranch. Registration will be open in early September. Please keep a look-out for registration information to follow.
There will be three panel discussions along with a small group facilitated break out session to discuss successes and solutions to ending trafficking.
Below is a tentative program outline. CEUs will be available.
Brenda Long – Garden Gate Ranch
- HT “101” Overview
Chief David Lorenzen
- Panel #1: Legislative/Law Enforcement Perspectives and QA
Virginia Bruner – District Attorney for Southern IA
Angela Kenyon Davis – Co-Chair of Legislative Advocacy Committee, Founder of ADK Legal Consulting
Representative from Marsy’s Law
- Panel #2: Medical/Social Services Perspectives and QA
Nikki Romer – Forensic Interviewer at Blank hospital
Teresa Davidson – Exec Director: Chains Interrupted.
Shannon Findlay, MD.
- Panel #3 – Available Tools and Resources
Gretchen Brown-Waech – Attorney General – Victim Services
Yolanda – Set Me Free
Jessica Rohrs – Victim Services
- Facilitated Small-Group Break Out Discussions
- Where has progress been made? What’s going well?
- Where have you personally grown in your engagement with this topic in the last 1-5 years?
- What are specific ways we can link/expand each other’s efforts?
- In this room, what are specific ways we can link with and expand our collective statewide collaboration?
- In what ways can the collective statewide collaboration support the work/networking in this room?
Congrats to 200 mile Iowa Bicyclists
Thank you to everyone who biked 200 miles on June 27th with Break The Cycle 200 to raise money for victims of sex trafficking.
This group of Iowa athletes have raised over $500,000 in the last 6 years. Money over the last few years has gone to Dorothy’s House in Des Moines, Youth Emergency Services and Shelter and to shelters in Nepal. This year, $65,000 was donated to Hope for Justice for them to hire an investigator to go after those responsible to build criminal cases here in Iowa. Click here for more info about this year’s ride.
Below are twelve current articles about human trafficking in our state and country
- East Dubuque woman charged with human trafficking, pimping at Des Moines-area hotel
- Ankeny Police Arrest Illinois Woman in Human Trafficking Case
- Tattoo Artists are on the Front Lines in the Fight Against Human Trafficking
- Gridshock Documentary available for purchase and download
- Iowa is failing to fund anti-human trafficking programs
- Siouxland organization is providing a home for sex trafficking survivors
- Team Of Retired U.S. Navy Seals And Police Detectives Saving Teens From Trafficking
- How sex traffickers use modeling contracts to lure young women
- Human Trafficking Victims Blocked from Visas by Trump Wage Boss
- New York Could Be First State to Decriminalize Sex Work
- Ernst talks anti-human trafficking, international workforce in Ames visit
- Sex abuse charges against La Luz del Mundo leader are the ‘tip of the iceberg,’ prosecutors say